Thursday, May 27

Blueberry-Vanilla Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting

Ever since eating blueberry cake with mascarpone frosting in Memphis, I've been wanting to recreate it at home. After an incognito phone call to Fino's and an other inquisitive visit to their restaurant, I think I've gleaned as much information out of them that I'm going to get. And I think I've found a recipe that comes close to theirs!

I settled on a variation of Alton Brown's Carrot Cake recipe. Both the cupcake and the frosting are not very sweet. If I made them again, I would add a little more sugar to each.

Blueberry-Vanilla Cupcakes

2 1/2 cups flour
1 pint ripe blueberries
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
seeds from one vanilla bean
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
6 ounces plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt with 2% fat)
6 ounces vegetable oil

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add blueberries, eggs, and plain yogurt. Mix until well blended. The blueberries should be crushed and the mixture purplish-blue. With your mixer running, drizzle oil into the bowl. Stir until just combined.

Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop out level portions of batter and pour into a pre-lined cupcake pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Turn heat down to 325 and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. As every oven cooks differently, I recommend checking on the cupcakes before the 20 minutes is up.

Cool and frost. Yield: 24 cupcakes.

2 comments:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

Where are mine???

bobbi said...

These look divine! I am also on the hunt for blueberry recipes since I go to a U-Pick blueberry farm that's near my house and pick enough to stock my freezer for the year. I am definitely going to try this! Thanks Becca.