Tuesday, June 12

Make-Ahead Breakfast: Steel Cut Oats

Hello, neglected blog.  
Here's a little ramble, so you know you've been on my mind.
I'm not a big breakfast eater.  I generally eat whatever is in the house that does not need any preparation... like cookies or candy or ice cream.  Or, I don't eat breakfast at all. 
I know this is not "healthy" and that breakfast is the "most important meal of the day".
Recently, I started to exercise irregularly and I find that on the days I do exercise, I want to eat healthier. 
Go figure.

Sam's Club had this delicious steel cut oatmeal in their freezer section that I discovered about the time I started irregularly exercising and I really loved it.  It was easy to make and felt healthier than cupcakes.  Steel cut oats aren't as mushy as regular oat meal, of which I'm not a huge fan, but they take a long time to cook from scratch.  
 Then, Sam's discontinued carrying it.  
Darn you Sam W.
So, I decided to try my hand at making my own steel cut oats and freezing them in portioned baggies.

Here's my recipe:

Freezer Steal Cut Oats
Make a very large batch of steel cut oats, following the manufacturer's directions.  (Since steel cut oats take 30-40 minutes to cook, I made a batch using 2 cups of oats and 8 cups of water, which yielded 9 portions.)

Let oats cool in pan for 15 minutes.

Scoop 1 cup portions of oats into Ziplock sandwich bags
Sprinkle 1-2 tsp brown sugar (according to taste)
Drop in a sliced strawberry (you could add raisins, craisins, blueberries, maple syrup or whatever you like on your oatmeal)

Cool completely.  Seal baggy and freeze.
When ready to eat, pop the frozen oatmeal out of the baggy and into a microwave safe bowl.  Microwave for 2- 3 minutes or until hot.  Stir and eat!

No comments: