Monday, September 10

Ginger Jam I Am

I LOVE GINGER JAM!  I know it isn't the most popular taste in America, but I discovered it while living in Australia one year.  One visit to The Ginger Factory and I was hooked!  Price of admission for our visiting Aussie friends is one jar of ginger (pronounced "jin-ja") jam.
                                                  
For years I have fantasized about making ginger jam but recipes were hard to come by.  In fact, I think ginger jam recipes are the very last thing to make it to internet.  Recently I have found some but they all seem to have ingredients like pineapple or jalapeños.  In the meantime, my taste buds have been satisfied by the occasional ginger jam purchase at stores like Marshall's or World Market.  But today was the day I got the courage to try my hand at this amber delight.  After studying other recipes I came up with one of my own.

      Janene's Ginger Jam

1 pound fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 medium gala apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
juice of 2 fresh limes
7 cups of sugar
1 packet Sure Jell Certo, liquid fruit pectin

Combine all ingredients, except the Certo,  in a heavy saucepan.  Heat slowly to melt sugar.  It will form a liquid.  Stir often.  Bring it to a boil and turn down to simmer for 45-60 minutes.  Stir occasionally, scraping sides and bottom of pot.  Because of the natural pectin in the apples, I probably didn't need to add the Certo, but I did just for good measure.  I added it after cooking the fruit.  I brought it to a boil and immediately removed from heat, stirring the Certo thoroughly into the mixture.  Spoon into clean containers, cool and refrigerate.  Jam could also be put into canning jars and processed in a water bath canner.  But I will eat too fast to bother with that!



I like to eat ginger jam on pancakes (piklets), biscuits (scones), toast, ice cream, yogurt and a spoon!


No comments: