Monday, April 19

Book Review: The Glass Castle

Rating: LOVED IT!
I couldn't put this is a fantastic memoir about an unconventional childhood down. Jeannette Walls writes about life with dysfunctional parents who, despite (or perhaps in spite of) neglecting the physical well being of their children, foster a love of learning. This well written, engaging story unfolds the complex relationship Jeannette has with her parents and how she over comes such an unstable upbringing. I would recommend this book to anyone who is not offended by a little language. A great read!

6 comments:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

I second!

bobbi said...

I also was intrigued by the stories told of Jeanette's nomadic childhood. A truly fascinating read! Did you know that she kept her upbringing a secret for decades? I think Jeanette's mother is still alive and lives on the streets of NY, by choice. Unconventional only begins to describe it! Thanks Becca.

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

I think we should do this for book group...

Becca said...

I think it would be a GREAT book group book. I just wondered about the language. It wasn't salacious, but I know that language of any kind is a deal breaker for some people.

Janene said...

I was so intrigued by her story that I watched and read a number of interviews she has done (just google her name or the book). I saw one video of her and her mom walking with her dogs and horses at her current abode. This story changed the way I view lots of things and people.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

This was an incredible book! Now whenever I am driving on long stretches through the west and see a place like Battle Mountain, I think of her. I am so impressed by the way she and her siblings overcame such big obstacles.