Monday, April 26

Book Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Rating: Liked it!
I had a hard time at first getting in to this post WWII novel about a reporter who is looking for an inspiring topic to write a book on. By happenstance, she begins corresponding with a group of villagers who reside on Guernsey Island, in the English Channel between England and France. Guernsey, while not part of the UK, is a British Crown Dependency. Axis forces occupied the island during WWII. Hitler became obsessed with reinforcing the island and felt he had his foot in the door to capturing England. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is an epistolary novel that unfolds the experiences of the islanders during the occupation. The story was interesting and shed light on an aspect of WWII I had no idea existed. I think the letter-writing style took me about half the book to get used to, but once I did I enjoyed this quaint tale.

3 comments:

wendy holt said...

I liked it too, although I felt like it needed 50 more pages, it seemed to end. Although, I read it right after "These is my words" and so I guess I compared it to that. (look at that, we just had book club...where's the food?)

mindy said...

how funny- I just read this book last week while I was sick. I also enjoyed it!

Janene said...

I listened to the book on a "talking book" recording. Maybe that is why I absolutely loved it and thought the writing was brilliant! By hearing the characters in different voices, the story came alive for me. Our South Hill Lit Group also reviewed this book this year. It was a hit for our group. For the review we all assumed a different member of the Society. Lots of fun. Good description of the plot, Becca!