Tuesday, March 16

Jean's White Chili with Tomato Garnish

A couple of years ago, my super organized sister-in-law, Jean, sent me her recipe file full of her favorite recipes. I always trust Jean's pallet and have yet to try one of her recipes that wasn't delicious. So, when we had plans to get together with a few friends over the weekend for soup. I decided to make Jean's White Chili recipe. This is me trying to be more open minded about certain foods-- namely beans and chiles-- two foods I have never really liked. But, I have to say, even though this soup was a little time consuming, it was worth it! It was really good. I especially like the garnish that goes on top. It gives the soup a fresh, light layer of flavor you don't normally associate with chili. I served it with hot rolls.

Soup:
3 cans white navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 white onion, diced
6 cups chicken broth
4 cups chicken breast, cooked and cubed
7 oz can diced green chiles
4 tsp cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp dried oregano
1 cup sour cream
3 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

In a large pot, slightly saute onion until tender. Add beans and broth. Cook until onions and beans are tender. Add chicken, chiles, and seasonings; continue to simmer until the sauce is thickened. (Approx. 30 min. - 1 hour). Take the pot off the heat and add the sour cream and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. Serve with tomato garnish.

Garnish:
tomatoes, chopped
cilantro, chopped
sweet and sour dressing


Sweet and Sour Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp dried onion powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp celery seed (optional)

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. In a dressing container, combine lemon juice and seasonings. Add vinegar mixture and then add oil. shake to combine. Dressing will keep up to a week n the refrigerator. Add only enough to coat the tomatoes and cilantro.

2 comments:

Kristin J. said...

This is a great soup recipe! I have made one similar from my good ol' Betty Crocker cookbook. But I am definitely going to try this version. The garnish sounds like a wonderful addition! Yum!!

jean said...

Glad you liked it!