Friday, January 7

Step Stool Makeover


I have a little step stool in the bathroom which has seen better days.  I wanted to spruce it up with a new paint job, but...we have a pink bathroom.  Very pink.  So, choosing a new color that would "go" with all the pink was tripping me up.  
I have often wished I was better at that kind of thing-- the putting-colors-and-patterns-together-so-they-look-good kind of thing.  

Anywho, while at a party this week, I noticed the hostess had some delightfully decoupaged pieces of furniture and I was inspired.  So, in a moment of productivity (which is rare and short lived around here), I pulled out some scrapbook paper I'd bought a while ago at TJ Maxx (I <3 TJ Maxx) and got to work.


I prepped the stool by cleaning it really good with a Magic Eraser.  That's as good as sanding, right? 
Next, I painted a thin layer of Mod Podge on the steps on the stool.


I cut the paper to fit the step and painted a thin layer of Mod Podge on the back.


Henry kept saying it smelled like apples as he colored with dry erase markers and the Mod Podge dried.


I smoothed the paper onto the steps and put another coat of Mod Pogde over the whole thing.  After the glue set, I sealed the steps with a clear, matte Krylon acrylic spray paint.


I love how it turned out.  And, I even think it goes with the pink tile.  But, the real test comes when the kids spill toothpaste and water all over it.  Cross your fingers for me!
see what i mean about the pink?

4 comments:

sarah said...

I love it!! so fun!

Janene said...

I love it with the PINK! I will be curious to know how it holds up! I am busy making a purple apron for Lisa's shower tomorrow, and super "B" capes for Ben and Blake's second birthdays. I seem to mass produce the same items over and over. hmmmm not too creative.

mindy said...

turned out great! And you're not kidding about a pink bathroom!

Becca said...

oh, mindy, you have no idea. the pink goes half way up the walls and almost all the way up to the ceiling around the bath. It's really pink. I don't really mind it, but it's just hard to pick a shower curtain and stuff that goes with it.